March 2014

March 2014

Sunday, September 16, 2012

No yeast flatbread

I enjoy cooking but there are times when I run out of steam and, during these moments, I think the hardest part of delivering a meal each day is, in fact, making the decision of what to actually prepare! This weekend was such a time and I thought it would be nice, perhaps foolishly, to include my husband in the Saturday night dinner decision and preparation process to get me over this ‘hump’.  He gallantly took the bait and we prepared together - for the first time ever - a meal consisting of white anchovies steeped in vinegar and herbs with a beetroot and carrot salad as a starter, then a main course of chicken tikka masala with a green salad, all accompanied by our own delicious home-made flatbread. I shouldn’t have been concerned at all - it turned out to be so successful and easy.
The recipe below is straightforward and can be doubled to make a big batch for a larger crowd. You can also freeze them and, when needed, simply defrost thoroughly and warm through in the oven wrapped in foil.
250g self-raising flour
½ tablespoon sea salt
½ tablespoon baking powder
250g natural yoghurt

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl, make a well in the centre and tip in the yoghurt. Mix to a dough. Dust your work surface with a little flour and knead for a minute to bring the dough together, then divide into 6 equal-sized pieces. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll the pieces of dough out into side-plate rounds.









Using a hot griddle pan, cook each flatbread for a couple of minutes per side, until slightly puffy and lightly charred.

PS My husband enjoyed helping so much that he told me that he will be making another batch – unaccompanied this time – very soon.  Now, maybe, I have to make a decision to turn-off the smoke alarm when he’s flying solo in the kitchen? Don't worry - only kidding!


No comments:

Post a Comment