March 2014

March 2014

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Low calorie soft fruit and almond friands

Low calorie soft fruit and almond friands

So this is it, I am ‘on the wagon’ again this month……no, it’s not the alcohol I will try to exclude but it is all unnecessary sugar and all things fattening! Since starting my blog, and indulging my passion for baking, my weight has climbed. This, coupled with a severe back problem and little exercise has been a real downfall. Anyway, enough of the confessions, I now regularly attend an Aqua Zumba class which has helped my movement significantly and, with a couple of bowls games each week, I think I have stepped-up my physical needs. However, my love of all things ‘cake’ must also be assuaged and I think the following recipe satisfied my need perfectly – a small, delicate morsel, high in flavour and low in fat and sweetness

Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
100g ground almonds
25g plain flour
4 tbsp Splenda
75g Flora (or other low fat spread) melted
100g soft fruit - I used my home-produced tayberries
25g flaked almonds

Method:
Preheat oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Lightly grease a 12 hole mini muffin tin (I used cake release spray). Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. In a separate bowl sieve together the flour, almonds and Splenda. Mix in the melted spread and almond extract. Lastly, gently fold in the egg whites until well combined. Spoon the mixture into the tin, top with 2 or 3 berries and scatter over the almonds. Bake for about 12 minutes until springy and golden. When cooled, dust with a little extra Splenda.

Ready for the oven


No comments:

Post a Comment